Culture

All about Canadian culture, from people and language to food, drink, books, music, and film

Daily Life

From health care and education, to local eating and shopping, to festivals and things to do, get the scoop on life in Canada

Housing, Jobs, & Money

Finding a home, working, saving, and investing in Canada – here’s how

Immigration

What you need to know to live in, work in, or immigrate to Canada. Citizenship information, too.

Travel

Travel ideas and tips for visiting, touring, and deciding where to live in Canada.

Home » Housing, Jobs, & Money

Top 10 Places to Retire in Canada

Submitted by on July 22, 2009 – 8:20 am6 Comments

Vancouver houseboatsWhen you’re think­ing about retire­ment des­ti­na­tions, do you think about Canada?

Canada may not come to mind as read­ily as, say, Mexico or the French Riviera, but plenty of peo­ple do retire to Canada from other coun­tries.

And many oth­ers, par­tic­u­larly Americans, choose to live in Canada part-​​time dur­ing their retire­ment years.

Why retire to Canada?

A rea­son­able cost of liv­ing, good weather (yes, really!), and of course, readily-​​available health care are all advan­tages of choos­ing Canada as a retire­ment destination.

MoneySense mag­a­zine con­sid­ered these fac­tors and more — includ­ing low taxes, low crime rates, ease of get­ting around on foot, and afford­able homes — in their recent rank­ing of Canada’s 10 Best Places to Live: Retirement.

Five of the Top 10 are in BC

Five of the top 10 Canadian places to retire are in British Columbia — per­haps not unex­pected, since BC has the country’s mildest cli­mate.

The city of Victoria topped the list, with Vancouver, Courtenay (on Vancouver Island), Vernon (in the Okanagan), and Salmon Arm (on Shuswap Lake in cen­tral BC) mak­ing the Top 10.

But weather isn’t the only fac­tor. The rest of the Top 10 best places were in Ontario or Quebec.

Kingston, Ontario came in at Number 2, and Ottawa, the nation’s cap­i­tal, ranked third.

Here’s the entire list:

1. Victoria, BC
  2. Kingston, ON
  3. Ottawa, ON
  4. Vancouver, BC
  5. London, ON
  6. Courtenay, BC
  7. Vernon, BC
  8. Cobourg, ON
  9. Joliette, QC
  10. Salmon Arm, BC

For more information

You can read more about retirement-​​related immi­gra­tion issues in the “Getting Started” sec­tion of this website.

For more resources about retir­ing in Canada, visit the Canadian Association of Retired Persons (CARP) and Seniors Canada.

Photo ©Carolyn B. Heller

6 Comments »

• Gerri Langelier says:

I’m American born, but lived in Canada for 22 years and took out Canadian cit­i­zen­ship in the 1970’s. Can’t wait to move back to Canada to retire. I felt safe when I lived in Canada, loved the health care sys­tem, and Canadians are won­der­ful peo­ple. I have been liv­ing in FL now for 17 years and all I can say is.… Get me outta here…

• Shane says:

This list is great. I cur­rently live in Victoria, BC but am not sure if I will be here for long due to career changes. One thing I know though, when I do hit my senior years and retire, it will be at home in Victoria, BC.

• Wallie says:

Can’t wait to move back to Canada!

• SANDY STINSON says:

DON’T LET THE HIGH PRICES IN VICTORIA SCARE YOU OFF, WITHIN A HOUR YOU CAN BE LIVING IN SMALL TOWNS IN THE COWICHAN VALLEY, A PLACE RENOWNED FOR A CLEAN SAFE LIFESTYLE, AND THEIR ENJOYMENT OF ‘ISLAND TIME’

CHECK OUT LAKE COWICHAN, FOR AFFORDABLE LIVING AND NATURAL BEAUTY YOU CANT BEAT IT

• Ruth says:

Oh there we are! Yes, we have LOTS of retirees here.

• Robert Johnstone says:

I’am a 60 year old sin­gle retired from the MTA/​NYCTA subways/​ metro and look­ing to live in Quebec-​​Monteregie Region east of Ile De Montreal .I have a Passport and Je puis parle un peu francaise.Where can I find exactly what I need to know in order to move to Canada​.It can’t be as sim­ple as rent­ing a place and then fill­ing papers with the gov­ern­ment for tem­po­rary and per­ma­nent res­i­dence ?? The gov­ern­ment web sites only explain about peo­ple look­ing for jobs and then citizenship.Someone I can com­mu­ni­cate with in help in look­ing for a place ( Masion Mobile,Mobile home,small house no upstairs all on ground floor and pet friendly cats with as few neigh­bors as pos­si­ble due to my back con­di­tion which keeps me awake all night long.A cer­tain area of Monteregie or a cer­tain Realestate would be help­full. Merci Robert Johnstone 179 Kiswick St Staten Island New York 10306

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: