Culture

All about Canadian cul­ture, from peo­ple and lan­guage to food, drink, books, music, and film

Daily Life

From health care and edu­ca­tion, to local eat­ing and shop­ping, to fes­ti­vals and things to do, get the scoop on life in Canada

Housing, Jobs, & Money

Finding a home, work­ing, sav­ing, and invest­ing in Canada – here’s how

Immigration

What you need to know to live in, work in, or immi­grate to Canada. Citizenship infor­ma­tion, too.

Travel

Travel ideas and tips for vis­it­ing, tour­ing, and decid­ing where to live in Canada.

Home » Culture

Thanksgiving: What’s different in Canada?

Submitted by on November 25, 2010 – 1:35 pm6 Comments

In hon­or of American Thanksgiving Day, Canadian Living mag­a­zine has post­ed a quiz: How do Canadian Thanksgiving feasts dif­fer from American Thanksgivings?

I’ve found that the meals them­selves are fair­ly sim­i­lar — turkey, stuff­ing, gravy, sweet pota­toes, cran­ber­ry sauce, and a plen­ti­ful array of pies grace hol­i­day tables on both sides of the bor­der — but the Canadian Living arti­cle points out sev­er­al small dif­fer­ences.

To me, the biggest dif­fer­ence is the rel­a­tive impor­tance of the hol­i­day in the two coun­tries: Thanksgiving is a much big­ger deal south of the bor­der. People cer­tain­ly do have fam­i­ly din­ners for Thanksgiving here in Canada, but there isn’t the mass trav­el fren­zy you find in the States.

And I’m still adjust­ing to hav­ing our turkey feast in October!

How about you, fel­low American expats? Do you miss American Thanksgiving? Leave a com­ment and let us know how you’re cel­e­brat­ing the US turkey day.

And check out our post from last Thanksgiving: American Thanksgiving: Do you miss it?

Happy American Thanksgiving!

Pumpkin pie pho­to by cal­gar­yre­views (flickr)

6 Comments »

• dan says:

One major dif­fer­ence I’ve not­ed is that Americans tend to have their Thanksgiving meal on the Thursday evening, where­as Canadians have their meal any­time from Friday to Monday. I also find, in con­tras to what the mag­a­zine you cite sug­gests, that Canadian meals are nowhere near as mono­lith­ic as their American coun­ter­parts. Canadians tend to include local and eth­nic spe­cial­i­ties. My wife’s fam­i­ly always includes that deli­cious Prairie treat: the cab­bage roll. I much pre­fer the Canadian cel­e­bra­tion to the American one. While I miss see­ing my fam­i­ly, I don’t miss the over­shad­ow­ing of Thanksgiving by Christmas. Celebrating in October helps keep the hol­i­day true to its roots as a har­vest fes­ti­val.

• Carolyn B. Heller says:

Thanks for the com­ments, Dan. That’s true that there does­n’t seem to be a set day or time for the Thanksgiving meal in Canada — just some time dur­ing the Thanksgiving Day week­end. And I’ve nev­er had cab­bage rolls at Thanksgiving, but they sound deli­cious!

• kmgm says:

As an American liv­ing in Canada, this is the one hol­i­day that real­ly sad­dens me that I am not able to cel­e­brate in true U.S. style. It tru­ly is my favorite hol­i­day. It has noth­ing to do with the near­ing of Christmas, or Black Friday shop­ping (which I have nev­er expe­ri­enced) – it was about the being with my fam­i­ly, see my friends, play­ing and watch­ing foot­ball, the cool New England weath­er, and of course the food.

I strug­gled last Thursday as I watched my hus­band go off to work and put my chil­dren on the bus, and spent the day alone. This year is was a lit­tle bit hard­er because, we had parent/​teacher con­fer­ences that night. No thanks­giv­ing din­ner.

I’m think­ing next year, I will keep the kids home.

• Zhu says:

Obviously, I can’t com­pare but I have the feel­ing that Thanksgiving is a much big­ger deal in the U.S.A. Maybe because it is also a syn­onym of Black Friday and OMG-Christmas-is-com­ing?

• Carolyn B. Heller says:

I’m not sure why Thanksgiving is a much big­ger deal in the U.S. than in Canada, but I do think it pre­ced­ed the cre­ation of the “Black Friday” shop­ping day. American schoolkids spend a lot of time learn­ing about the Pilgrims who first set­tled the U.S. east coast and the leg­end of the first Thanksgiving, so the Thanksgiving din­ner has a cer­tain mythol­o­gy sur­round­ing it. It’s a non-reli­gious hol­i­day, so its cel­e­bra­tion isn’t lim­it­ed to par­tic­u­lar reli­gious groups, but that’s true in Canada as well.

If any­one else has any thoughts about the rel­a­tive impor­tance of Thanksgiving in the U.S. and Canada, please chime in!