Culture

All about Canadian culture, from people and language to food, drink, books, music, and film

Daily Life

From health care and education, to local eating and shopping, to festivals and things to do, get the scoop on life in Canada

Housing, Jobs, & Money

Finding a home, working, saving, and investing in Canada – here’s how

Immigration

What you need to know to live in, work in, or immigrate to Canada. Citizenship information, too.

Travel

Travel ideas and tips for visiting, touring, and deciding where to live in Canada.

Home » Culture

Thanksgiving: What’s different in Canada?

Submitted by on November 25, 2010 – 1:35 pm6 Comments

In honor of American Thanksgiving Day, Canadian Living mag­a­zine has posted a quiz: How do Canadian Thanksgiving feasts dif­fer from American Thanksgivings?

I’ve found that the meals them­selves are fairly sim­i­lar — turkey, stuff­ing, gravy, sweet pota­toes, cran­berry sauce, and a plen­ti­ful array of pies grace hol­i­day tables on both sides of the bor­der — but the Canadian Living arti­cle points out sev­eral small differences.

To me, the biggest dif­fer­ence is the rel­a­tive impor­tance of the hol­i­day in the two coun­tries: Thanksgiving is a much big­ger deal south of the bor­der. People cer­tainly do have fam­ily din­ners for Thanksgiving here in Canada, but there isn’t the mass travel frenzy you find in the States.

And I’m still adjust­ing to hav­ing our turkey feast in October!

How about you, fel­low American expats? Do you miss American Thanksgiving? Leave a com­ment and let us know how you’re cel­e­brat­ing the US turkey day.

And check out our post from last Thanksgiving: American Thanksgiving: Do you miss it?

Happy American Thanksgiving!

Pumpkin pie photo by cal­gar­yre­views (flickr)

6 Comments »

• dan says:

One major dif­fer­ence I’ve noted is that Americans tend to have their Thanksgiving meal on the Thursday evening, whereas Canadians have their meal any­time from Friday to Monday. I also find, in con­tras to what the mag­a­zine you cite sug­gests, that Canadian meals are nowhere near as mono­lithic as their American coun­ter­parts. Canadians tend to include local and eth­nic spe­cial­i­ties. My wife’s fam­ily always includes that deli­cious Prairie treat: the cab­bage roll. I much pre­fer the Canadian cel­e­bra­tion to the American one. While I miss see­ing my fam­ily, I don’t miss the over­shad­ow­ing of Thanksgiving by Christmas. Celebrating in October helps keep the hol­i­day true to its roots as a har­vest festival.

• Carolyn B. Heller says:

Thanks for the com­ments, Dan. That’s true that there doesn’t seem to be a set day or time for the Thanksgiving meal in Canada — just some time dur­ing the Thanksgiving Day week­end. And I’ve never had cab­bage rolls at Thanksgiving, but they sound delicious!

• kmgm says:

As an American liv­ing in Canada, this is the one hol­i­day that really sad­dens me that I am not able to cel­e­brate in true U.S. style. It truly is my favorite hol­i­day. It has noth­ing to do with the near­ing of Christmas, or Black Friday shop­ping (which I have never expe­ri­enced) – it was about the being with my fam­ily, see my friends, play­ing and watch­ing foot­ball, the cool New England weather, and of course the food.

I strug­gled last Thursday as I watched my hus­band go off to work and put my chil­dren on the bus, and spent the day alone. This year is was a lit­tle bit harder because, we had parent/​teacher con­fer­ences that night. No thanks­giv­ing dinner.

I’m think­ing next year, I will keep the kids home.

• Zhu says:

Obviously, I can’t com­pare but I have the feel­ing that Thanksgiving is a much big­ger deal in the U.S.A. Maybe because it is also a syn­onym of Black Friday and OMG-​​Christmas-​​is-​​coming?

• Carolyn B. Heller says:

I’m not sure why Thanksgiving is a much big­ger deal in the U.S. than in Canada, but I do think it pre­ceded the cre­ation of the “Black Friday” shop­ping day. American schoolkids spend a lot of time learn­ing about the Pilgrims who first set­tled the U.S. east coast and the leg­end of the first Thanksgiving, so the Thanksgiving din­ner has a cer­tain mythol­ogy sur­round­ing it. It’s a non-​​religious hol­i­day, so its cel­e­bra­tion isn’t lim­ited to par­tic­u­lar reli­gious groups, but that’s true in Canada as well.

If any­one else has any thoughts about the rel­a­tive impor­tance of Thanksgiving in the U.S. and Canada, please chime in!