Victoria & Vancouver Island
If you like the idea of the relaxed, West Coast life, but you prefer a less urban environment than Vancouver, look at some of British Columbia’s other regions.
The provincial capital, Victoria, located on Vancouver Island across the Strait of Georgia from the city of Vancouver, is an up-and-coming community. It’s large enough to have plenty of restaurants, pubs, and cultural activities, but small enough to be neighborly. The climate is mild, and golfing, sailing, hiking, and cycling are just a few of the activities that residents enjoy.
Elsewhere on Vancouver Island, you’ll find smaller cities, beach towns, and logging communities. And between Vancouver Island and the mainland, the waters are dotted with islands: the Gulf Island chain. In these island spots, tourism is a big business, but so is telecommuting. Many artists and entrepreneurs have settled on B.C.‘s islands, adding a vibrant cultural dimension to life here. And when the surf’s up or the sun shines, island residents can get outdoors fast.
Victoria & Vancouver Island relocation resources:
- WelcomeBC: Everything you need to know about immigrating to British Columbia
- British Columbia Newcomers’ Guide
- Getting Settled in Victoria: Although this guide is designed for prospective new faculty at the University of Victoria, it’s useful for anyone relocating to the Victoria area.
- City of Victoria website: Guide to the city’s services and other information
- City of Nanaimo website: Guide to services and other information in Vancouver Island’s second largest city
- GoNanaimo.com: Scads of resources for living in and traveling to Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, and elsewhere in Canada
- Discover Comox Valley: Guide to the communities on central Vancouver Island’s east coast
- Tourism Tofino: Guide to the towns of Tofino and Ucluelet on Vancouver Island’s west coast
- Vancouver Island guide from Tourism British Columbia
- Victoria Real Estate Board: Real estate listings and market news
- Vancouver Island Real Estate Board: Real estate listings and market news for island communities
- Realty Link: Homes for sale throughout British Columbia, including many Vancouver Island communities
- WorkBC: Overview of the job search process and links to job-hunting resources in British Columbia. For more job search resources, see Finding a Job.
- Invest British Columbia: Resources for entrepreneurs and small business owners
- Health Insurance BC: How to apply for health insurance in British Columbia
- Victoria schools: Greater Victoria School District #61, Federation of Independent Schools (B.C.)
- Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands schools: Southern Gulf Islands School District #64, Nanaimo School District #68, Comox Valley School District #71, Campbell River School District #72, Tofino and Ucluelet School District #70
- Victoria-area colleges and universities: University of Victoria, Royal Roads University, Camosun College
- Getting around Victoria and Vancouver Island: Victoria Regional Transit Commission, BC Transit, BC Ferries
- Victoria media: Victoria Times-Colonist, Monday Magazine
– Excerpted (in part) from the book, Living Abroad in Canada. To read more, buy the book.
Victoria harbor photo ©Carolyn B. Heller