All about Canadian culture, from people and language to food, drink, books, music, and film

Daily Life

From health care and education, to local eating and shopping, to festivals and things to do, get the scoop on life in Canada

Housing, Jobs, & Money

Finding a home, working, saving, and investing in Canada – here’s how


What you need to know to live in, work in, or immigrate to Canada. Citizenship information, too.


Travel ideas and tips for visiting, touring, and deciding where to live in Canada.

Home » Travel

Remember your passport

Submitted by on June 1, 2009 – 9:26 amNo Comment

Photo by alex-s (flickr)If you’re trav­el­ing between the U.S. and Canada, remem­ber that as of today, June 1, new pass­port rules are in effect.

Gone are the days when you could sim­ply drive between the U.S. and Canada with only a driver’s license to flash to the bor­der agent.

Under the U.S. government’s Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, American cit­i­zens re-​​entering the U.S. need to present a pass­port, a U.S. pass­port card, an Enhanced Driver’s License, or a NEXUS “Trusted Traveler” card. The same rules apply to Canadian cit­i­zens head­ing south of the bor­der.

Enhanced Driver’s Licenses are avail­able in the U.S. to res­i­dents of Michigan, New York, Vermont, and Washington, and in Canada to res­i­dents of British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec.

These ID require­ments pre­vi­ously applied only to air trav­el­ers, but begin­ning today, the new rules affect land and sea bor­der cross­ings as well.

For more back­ground about the pass­port require­ments, have a look at our ear­lier “Passports Required” blog post. You can also learn more at the U.S. “Get You Home” web site.

And if you want to see how these new rules are affect­ing line-​​ups at the bor­der cross­ings, check with the Canada Border Services Agency or the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency.

Photo by alex-​​s (flickr)

Comments are closed.