Culture

All about Canadian cul­ture, from peo­ple and lan­guage to food, drink, books, music, and film

Daily Life

From health care and edu­ca­tion, to local eat­ing and shop­ping, to fes­ti­vals and things to do, get the scoop on life in Canada

Housing, Jobs, & Money

Finding a home, work­ing, sav­ing, and invest­ing in Canada – here’s how

Immigration

What you need to know to live in, work in, or immi­grate to Canada. Citizenship infor­ma­tion, too.

Travel

Travel ideas and tips for vis­it­ing, tour­ing, and decid­ing where to live in Canada.

Home » Housing, Jobs, & Money

Top 10 Places to Retire in Canada

Submitted by on July 22, 2009 – 8:20 am6 Comments

Vancouver houseboatsWhen you’re think­ing about retire­ment des­ti­na­tions, do you think about Canada?

Canada may not come to mind as read­i­ly as, say, Mexico or the French Riviera, but plen­ty of peo­ple do retire to Canada from oth­er coun­tries.

And many oth­ers, par­tic­u­lar­ly Americans, choose to live in Canada part-time dur­ing their retire­ment years.

Why retire to Canada?

A rea­son­able cost of liv­ing, good weath­er (yes, real­ly!), and of course, read­i­ly-avail­able health care are all advan­tages of choos­ing Canada as a retire­ment des­ti­na­tion.

MoneySense mag­a­zine con­sid­ered these fac­tors and more — includ­ing low tax­es, low crime rates, ease of get­ting around on foot, and afford­able homes — in their recent rank­ing of Canada’s 10 Best Places to Live: Retirement.

Five of the Top 10 are in BC

Five of the top 10 Canadian places to retire are in British Columbia — per­haps not unex­pect­ed, since BC has the coun­try’s mildest cli­mate.

The city of Victoria topped the list, with Vancouver, Courtenay (on Vancouver Island), Vernon (in the Okanagan), and Salmon Arm (on Shuswap Lake in cen­tral BC) mak­ing the Top 10.

But weath­er isn’t the only fac­tor. The rest of the Top 10 best places were in Ontario or Quebec.

Kingston, Ontario came in at Number 2, and Ottawa, the nation’s cap­i­tal, ranked third.

Here’s the entire list:

1. Victoria, BC
  2. Kingston, ON
  3. Ottawa, ON
  4. Vancouver, BC
  5. London, ON
  6. Courtenay, BC
  7. Vernon, BC
  8. Cobourg, ON
  9. Joliette, QC
  10. Salmon Arm, BC

For more information

You can read more about retire­ment-relat­ed immi­gra­tion issues in the “Getting Started” sec­tion of this web­site.

For more resources about retir­ing in Canada, vis­it the Canadian Association of Retired Persons (CARP) and Seniors Canada.

Photo ©Carolyn B. Heller

6 Comments »

• Gerri Langelier says:

I’m American born, but lived in Canada for 22 years and took out Canadian cit­i­zen­ship in the 1970’s. Can’t wait to move back to Canada to retire. I felt safe when I lived in Canada, loved the health care sys­tem, and Canadians are won­der­ful peo­ple. I have been liv­ing in FL now for 17 years and all I can say is.… Get me out­ta here…

• Shane says:

This list is great. I cur­rent­ly live in Victoria, BC but am not sure if I will be here for long due to career changes. One thing I know though, when I do hit my senior years and retire, it will be at home in Victoria, BC.

• Wallie says:

Can’t wait to move back to Canada!

• SANDY STINSON says:

DON’T LET THE HIGH PRICES IN VICTORIA SCARE YOU OFF, WITHIN A HOUR YOU CAN BE LIVING IN SMALL TOWNS IN THE COWICHAN VALLEY, A PLACE RENOWNED FOR A CLEAN SAFE LIFESTYLE, AND THEIR ENJOYMENT OF ‘ISLAND TIME’

CHECK OUT LAKE COWICHAN, FOR AFFORDABLE LIVING AND NATURAL BEAUTY YOU CANT BEAT IT

• Ruth says:

Oh there we are! Yes, we have LOTS of retirees here.

• Robert Johnstone says:

I’am a 60 year old sin­gle retired from the MTA/​NYCTA subways/​ metro and look­ing to live in Quebec-Monteregie Region east of Ile De Montreal .I have a Passport and Je puis par­le un peu francaise.Where can I find exact­ly what I need to know in order to move to Canada​.It can’t be as sim­ple as rent­ing a place and then fill­ing papers with the gov­ern­ment for tem­po­rary and per­ma­nent res­i­dence ?? The gov­ern­ment web sites only explain about peo­ple look­ing for jobs and then citizenship.Someone I can com­mu­ni­cate with in help in look­ing for a place ( Masion Mobile,Mobile home,small house no upstairs all on ground floor and pet friend­ly cats with as few neigh­bors as pos­si­ble due to my back con­di­tion which keeps me awake all night long.A cer­tain area of Monteregie or a cer­tain Realestate would be help­full. Merci Robert Johnstone 179 Kiswick St Staten Island New York 10306