Home » Paperwork 101

Paperwork 101

Photo ©Alan Albert

So you’ve deci­ded to move to Cana­da. Congra­tu­la­tions ! You’re joi­ning more than 250,000 others who immi­grate to Cana­da each year. Now it’s time to take care of the paperwork.

You can’t just pick up and head across the bor­der, at least if you plan to work or go to school or stay for more than an exten­ded vaca­tion. You need per­mis­sion from the Cana­dian govern­ment.

How do you get that per­mis­sion ? How do you figure out the best way to immi­grate to Cana­da–the way with the grea­test chance of success–for you and your family ?

The fac­tors to consi­der are :

  • Will you be coming to Cana­da for more or less than six months ?
  • Do you have a job offer or poten­tial employ­ment in Canada ?
  • Are you coming to Cana­da to go to school or uni­ver­si­ty ?
  • Are you plan­ning to retire to Canada ?
  • Do you want to move to Cana­da per­ma­nent­ly or for at least seve­ral years ?

Get com­for­table, because even when you’ve defi­ned your rea­sons for coming to Cana­da, the paper­work pro­cess is rather leng­thy, and you need to unders­tand the various immi­gra­tion options. Read on for more infor­ma­tion about the docu­ments you need to visit Cana­da, work in Cana­da, or stu­dy in Cana­da, or apply for Cana­dian per­ma­nent resident sta­tus.

– Excerp­ted (in part) from the book, Living Abroad in Cana­da. To read more, buy the book.

Pho­to ©Alan Albert